Automate Your Small Business with IFTTT (If This Then That)
If This Then That (or IFTTT—rhymes with “gift”) is a free service that automates actions between Internet-connected services and devices such as websites, apps, smartphones, gadgets and more.
Once you create your free account, you can activate any of the 200+ channels (Facebook, Google Docs, Google Drive, Dropbox, WordPress, Twitter, Office 365, etc.). Each channel has its own set of TRIGGERS (the IF THIS part) and ACTIONS (the THEN THAT) part) which combine to create RECIPES. You can mix and match to create your own and there are also copious amounts of pre-made recipes you can select from.
Pre-made IFTTT examples include:
- Payments accepted via Square adds a row to a spreadsheet (or any new refund made via Square adds a row to a spreadsheet)
- Add a calendar event at 7am to close windows and prepare umbrellas when tomorrow’s forecast calls for rain
- Send a LinkedIn invitation to someone who starts following you on Twitter
- If a Google Calendar event starts, post to my Facebook Page
- If you get a new order, add it to a Google Spreadsheet
- If [Competitor X] creates a blog post about [Subject Y], then text me
- If I post to WordPress, then post to Facebook Page
You can even combine them to create complex chains of triggers and actions across multiple services.
With a little creativity, there really is no end to the number of useful automations you can create to stay organized and get more done.
Here are several great collections to get you thinking and help get you started:
- PC Magazine: The 110 Best IFTTT Recipes
- Wix: The 10 Most Useful IFTTT Recipes for Wix Users
- IFTTT: Recipes for the Small Business Owner
- Mashable: 10 IFTTT Recipes to Optimize Your Business
- The Next Web: 9 Clever Ways to Automate Your Business
Celebrate with us and take advantage
of our 25th Anniversary special:
1st hour is free if you schedule with us before September 30, 2015.
CONTACT US to learn more about what we can do for you.